State Lunch and Break Law Governing Florida

Recently, I’ve been reviewing the laws related to lunches, breaks and other work hour issues. I think it is interesting to note that Florida does not have any laws on the books specifically related to this area, except those pertaining to minors. Florida law requires that minors under age 18 must be given an uninterrupted meal or rest period of at least 30 minutes for each four hours they have continuously worked.

Although Florida does not have a lunch and break law for those persons 18 and over, there are applicable federal rules for Florida citizens. While Federal Law does not mandate specific breaks or meal periods, it does give guidance as to whether or not an employee should be paid during these times. Short breaks are usually 20 minutes or less, and should be counted as hours worked. Genuine “meal periods” are usually 30 minutes or more, and do not need to be compensated as work time. For this to be the case, however, the worker must be completely relieved of his or her duties during the meal break. If the employee is still required to do any duties (even minor duties such as answering a phone), it can’t be considered a meal or lunch period and must be paid.

Federal law also contains other provisions related to employee pay during times of waiting, sleeping and traveling. Whether or not waiting time needs to be considered paid work hours depends on the situation. If an employee is allowed to do something of his or her choosing while waiting for another task to be finished or while waiting at the workplace for his or her services to be called upon, it is generally considered work time. On the other hand, if an employee is waiting to be called upon, but has great freedom to do what he or she wishes while on call (and has plenty of time to respond to the call), it is not generally considered paid work time.

When it comes to sleeping time, employees required to be on duty less than 24 hours is considered to be “working” even if he or she is permitted to sleep during some of those hours when not busy. If an employee is on duty more than 24 hours, a sleeping period of no more than eight hours may be deducted from work hours. However, this can only be done if sleeping quarters are provided and at least five hours of uninterrupted sleep may be achieved by the employee.

Finally, another issue I find comes up in the area of work hours is the issue of travel time. The general rule of thumb is that time spent in the normal day’s commute to and from work is not considered paid working time. However, if an employee is traveling in the course of a days work, it must be considered paid work time.

Complete information on the laws related to lunches, breaks and other pertinent labor issues can be found on the Florida Complete Labor Law Poster. This poster offers all the required postings for both federal and state labor laws.

This entry was posted in

173 Thoughts on “State Lunch and Break Law Governing Florida”

December 26, 2014 at 4:14 pm

for folks who currently utilize nicotine, vape pens supply you with the
ability to continue enjoying smoking at a much lower level of danger.

Karen DuPont

January 5, 2015 at 5:36 am

I work full time in downtown St. Pete FL and am required to “punch out” for the AM & PM break. I don’t think that is legal. Have worked many jobs in FL and never had to lose work time for a short break. Please reply

Sharon

January 9, 2015 at 2:39 pm

To respond to Karen, how long is your break? Because if it’s 15 mins you don’t need to clock out but if it’s more like about 30 mins you’ll need to clock out.
It’s differ with every job.

Joshua H

January 11, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Hello Karen, I have also been a victim of this and I also believe the cause for my issue is also discrimination. I have been working with a company for two months now, and recently I have been notified that I will need to start clocking out for fifteen minute breaks if I am going to leave the company premises to vape my electronic cigarette and/or get a snack at McDonalds due to (according to my immediate supervisor) “the company not being held liable for activities conducted off premises”. This seems illegal to me under the federal laws outlined in §785.18 under Title 29, Subtitle B, Chapter V, Subchapter B, Part 785, Subpart C.

January 12, 2015 at 2:37 am

My company tack on an hour overtime on your shift every week with a mandatory 5hours ot in the week, than on a 9 hour shift ask employees if they want to skip yheir lunch. So many employees do this. My question is, aren’t you still working 8hours without a lunch. And isn’t that illegal? I’ve seen this the whole time i was there.

kim bee

February 10, 2015 at 9:13 am

I work front desk at a hotel in deland fl. The shift is seven hours long.. do on qualify for a break at least 15 min; but thirty would be nice. Everyone else at hotel is given a break. Why any different for front desk ?

Mike N

February 11, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I find it ridiculous that the neither the DOL or the State of Florida require at least a 30 min break be given for an 8 hour day. My wife has to work a 13 hour shift and does not even get a 30 minute lunch break. What good is either agency if they cannot provide basic rights for workers like eating a meal during the day.

Mr M

February 25, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Not sure why so many people here seem to be unable to read the article. Florida has no break/lunch laws and therefore defaults to the federal law. The federal laws do not enforce any break or lunch rules but does provide guidance to the states… like “if breaks are provided, less than 20 min should be paid…”

zach

March 6, 2015 at 4:04 am

It’s unfortunate business really. I currently work 12 hours a day with one break. It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t a labor job. I have worked other labor jobs before and got a 15 minute break every 2 1/2 hours. It all depends on who you work for, but it isn’t mandatory in the state of Florida. It’s really quite sad that some companies still treat employees this way. Stuck in the industrial period i suppose.

Gloria Hiller

March 11, 2015 at 9:54 am

I work a 5 hour shift and get 2 five minute breaks Is this legal? .

Ted

March 12, 2015 at 7:56 am

Although florida does not mandate giving a lunch break, as an employer can you mandate that it must be taken

james

April 9, 2015 at 9:14 am

yea i work for ups here in Florida and sometimes i get 9 to 10 hour shifts with only a ten minute break is this legal

April 27, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Gasoline that sits for an extended amount of time can lose its potency
and gunk up an engine. If you go on to add up monthly savings and
future cash flows, subtract out your initial investment,
and end up with a positive result, it may be time to start getting a cost estimate for your Nitrogen Generator.
Even neighborhoods in Philadelphia county that are
close to the suburban borders have reported losses of power, but fortunately
for those who live directly in Philadelphia such as North Philly,
South Philly, parts of West and Southwest Philly as well as neighborhoods
that are located in the Northeast power outages aren’t as common as they
are out in the suburbs or close to their borders.

May 4, 2015 at 11:09 pm

For most up-to-date news y?u ha?e too visit tthe web
and on internet I found this website a? a best web ?age f?r most recent updates.

May 15, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve visited your blog before but
after looking at a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me.
Regardless, I’m definitely pleased I discovered it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

Yeli

May 17, 2015 at 10:31 pm

I used to work at a fast food restaurant. My former manager denied giving out breaks..and its also hard to take a five minute break because it gets busy sometimes. An employee cannot take a break even if he worked more then seven hours?

May 19, 2015 at 8:24 pm

What i do not realize is in truth how you are now not really a lot more neatly-preferred
than you may be right now. You are very intelligent.

You realize thus significantly when it comes to this topic, made me in my
view believe it from a lot of various angles. Its
like women and men aren’t involved unless it’s something
to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs great. At all times take care of it up!

May 19, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this website.

It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s
challenging to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and visual appearance.

I must say that you’ve done a great job with this.
In addition, the blog loads super fast for me on Safari.
Excellent Blog!

May 19, 2015 at 11:38 pm

A few of these apps will go to the jailbroken same app store.
2) get the sensation which you’ve been a careful
and thoughtful owner who has taken care of his belongings.

May 29, 2015 at 1:42 pm

????? ????????? 2015 — ??? ????????? ?????? ????????? ? ?????????,
???? ? ???? ?? ????????? ?????? ? ????? ?? ????????
???????? ??????? ??? ???????? ???????: ????? ?????? ????????? ?? ??????? ?????? ? ????? ???????????? ????????? ? ????? ?????????????? ???????? ??
??????????? ? ??????????? ?? ?????? ??????
?????? ? ???????????, ?????, ?????, ???????????, ?????????? ?????, ?????????? ?????????, ??? ?????? ? ???????
? ????? ???? ??????. ? ?????????? ?? ??????? ????????????? ?????????? ??????????? ?????? ???????.
????????? ????? ? ?????? ? ????????????? ???????? ??
????????????, ????????? ????????????? ???????? ????????? ? ????????? ????????? ????????
? ?????? ????? ???????. ????? ??? ???????? ?????????? ??????????? ??? ?????
???????? ???????! ?????? ??????-??????? ???? ?? ?????? ???????, ??
??? ? ???????? ????????? ? ????????.
???????? — ???????? ???? ??????????!

??????? ?????????? ???
???????? ?? ????? ???-????? ?????? ??
????????? ?????! ????? ?? ?????? ?????????,
???????? ?????? ???????? ?????,
???? ??? ??? ?????????? ???????
??? ???????? ? ????????? ??????? ??????? ???-????? ? ???????? ?????? ???? «?????».

??? ?????? ??? ????????? ???????? ?????????? ????????, ??????? ?? ??????????? «??? ?????????», ? ????? ????? ?? ?????? ??????????? ? ????? ???????????
????????????? ????????? ???? ???-?????
? ??????? ???????? ????????????.
??? ??????????????? ??????????? ???????????? ?????????? ???????? ???? ???????? ??????? ????????? ????? ???-?????.

?????????????? ??? ????? ???????? «?????????»: ???????? ??? ??????, ??????? ?? ???????
????? ? ??? ????????? ????? ????????
????????-?????????, ? ??????? ????????????
??????, ??????? ??? ?????.
???????? ???? ???????????? ??????????????? ?????????? ??????????!

????? ? ??????????? ????? ??????-????? ????????? ?????? ????? ???????.
?????? ???????? ?? ???????????? ??? ????????? ?????????, ? ?????? ??????????? ???????? ? ???? ????????.
?????? ? ???????? ????????? ??????? ???????
??????? ???????? ?????????? ??????????? ?????? ???????????? ? ?????????? ????, ?????
??????? ??? ????????? ???????? ???????,
? ?? ???????? ?????????? ???????.

???????? ??????????? ? ?????? ??????? ????? ????? ??? ????, ??? ???????????? ????? ?????????? ??????? ??????? ? ??????????
?? ???? ????, ????????? ?????? ????-?????????? ???????.

June 16, 2015 at 3:33 pm

There is no need to purchase bottled water, which is expensive; you
can store your own fresh drinking water for purposes of drinking
in vertical storage tanks. It is necessary to wisely choose carpets to be placed in a
room so that they can add color, style and warmth.
Many of the Earthships have propane tanks for cooking and a backup hot
water supply; these are the only utility bills.

June 19, 2015 at 10:20 am

About The – Author: Harris – Noah is an expert author on pet products related topics and currently workingfor.
Most of the time, when the topic is all about wastewater
and sewage, the image people often get is that of bad smells and all that grime.

Tiny video cameras are sometimes used to probe intricate
pipes to pinpoint hidden leaks and problems.

Cindy

June 26, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Our employees take a 30 minute break for lunch daily. We have a couple employees who refuse to take lunch and then we pay them overtime.

By law do we have to pay the employee the overtime if they refuse to take the 30 minute lunch? Or by law can we deduct the overtime if it was not approved by the Supervisor?

Thanks,